Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Labor and Delivery

I know people love to hear the story about the how, what, when, and where.

Here is my story.

Labor and delivery was not as bad as I was anticipating (at least for me).  Especially since when I got to the Hospital there were two women that delivered babies within about 15 min of each other and they were both screaming their heads off.......Im not even exaggerating.  It was total Hollywood Movie screaming their heads off.  I looked at Lorin and started crying and told him "I can't do this!"  He held my hand and said "yes you can!"

When I got the hospital at 6pm Thursday I had already been having contractions consistently since around noon.  They checked me and I was only dilated to a 2 and about 70% effaced.  They admitted me to a room after a couple hours and the Dr wanted to start me on pitocin to get my contractions going.  I told them I wanted to wait and walk around the hospital.  They let me go out and walk for and hr and then they wanted to start pitocin.  So I walked.....and walked.... and came back to the room and started the pitocin.  Long story short, after an hr of walking, 4 1/2 hrs of pitocin and now being about 14 1/2 hrs into labor they checked me and I had only dilated from a 2 to a 4.

I told Lorin I couldn't do this all night.

I was so exhausted and after all of that I still wasn't making much progress.  So after talking crying to Lorin, my mom and the nurse I finally decided to get an epidural.  I had planned to have a natural birth....no epidural....but I couldn't do it anymore, and I felt like such a failure.  Not that I was trying to prove anything to anyone....I wanted to do it for me, and I think if I had made more progress it would have inspired me to keep going, but only being a 4, after all of that....no way.  So I felt like a failure and was really upset about it.  (I don't feel that way now, I know I made the right decision for me!)  

By 3:30am I had gotten the epidural and it had taken effect so I went to sleep.  The nurse would come in every hour and help me turn from side to side but other then that I slept like a champ.  About 7:30am the nurse checked me to see what kind of progress I had made.  I was now dilated to a 6 and my water had broke.  By this time I could feel the contractions I just couldn't feel the pain.  The nurse said since my water had broke it wouldn't be much longer so she started prepping the room.  Around 8:20am I started feeling really sick and started dry heaving.  At the same time I started feeling a lot of pressure "down there".  So I finished dry heaving and told the nurse I was feeling the pressure, she checked me and said "yep, there's the baby..." so she had me do a couple pushes while we waited for my Dr.  My Dr came in and I started pushing about 8:45am and Mollie was born at 9:04am.

It was the most unbelievable experience of my life.  As she was coming out my Dr told me to look down and there was her head, I watched her come out, then I heard that amazing little cry and I started bawling.  I could barely see her through all of my tears.  They put her on my chest for a min then Lorin got to cut her cord.  One scary thing to note is that the cord was wrapped around her neck twice.....but thankfully she was ok.  The nurses took her and did all that stuff that they do then brought her back to us.

9 months of waiting for this beautiful baby and now she is here.  Lorin and I are so in love with her.  She is absolutely perfect!!


  1. Cory came home today bragging that he got to see Mollie, and he could not stop talking about how tiny and sweet she is :) Hope all is well with you.

  2. Oh that was sweet of him. He wanted to take her and trade for your kids....lol!!

  3. They are definitly more challenging as they get older. There is something so wonderful and precious about holding such a new life, a sense of peace and overwhelming love that can take you away from all the stress and ugliness of the world and bring you closer to Heaven.