Saturday, June 2, 2012

3 sad days

Tues after memorial day Rocky got really sick.  Thank heavens Lorin was home with him at the time and was able to get him to the Vet.  

Let me take a min to give you a little background on Rocky's health.  He has had numerous dental problems, an episode of Giardia (Giardiasis refers to an intestinal infection that is caused by the protozan parasite giardia.) which could have killed him, and last year he had an allergic reaction to his food and he was literally puking all of the time.  Just so happens he has bad luck when it comes to his health.  I'm officially labeling him a special needs dog.

So Tues we got him to the Vet, she did an x-ray and blood work on him, long story short he had Pancreatitis, which if not treated in time can kill dogs.  Luckily we got him there and were able to get an IV in him (he was dehydrated), start some pain meds because pancreatitis causes major abdominal pain, and he had to stay at least 2 days so he could be monitored and cared for constantly.  Lorin called me at work to let me know what was happening and I fell apart.  It doesn't help that I am 8 months preggo but this dog is like our child.  I know some people don't understand but he is part of our family.  So I was a wreck all day and I didn't get to see him that night.  On Wed he was doing better but still needed to stay there.  Lorin and I were able to go visit him that night.  That was hard for me.....he wanted to come home with us so bad and he was not happy when we left him.  Thurs our vet did more blood work and things looked a lot better.  I was able to go get him after work and bring him home.  He has to go back in 2 weeks for a check up but so far he is doing good.  And we are happy to have him home!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment